Go to Top

Extension of period of stay

Extension of period of stay

Persons who intend to continue to stay in Japan after the expiry date of their permitted period of stay must do perform extension procedures.

We receive applications starting from three months prior to the expiry date of your stay. Please proceed as soon as possible.

【How to apply】

International students must first write an application using the "Form for the applicant" and to submit it to the graduates section together with a copy of his Residence Card (front and back).

Graduates section will write and stamp the application using the "Form for organization" and will return both documents to the applicant.

 Required Documents:

  1. Application for Extension of Period of Stay (Application form)

    Application form can be downloaded from Immigration Services Agency of Japan. Please check on the form "10.Student".

  2. ID Photo (4cm×3cm) Attach on the 1st page of the application
  3. Passport
  4. Residence Card (or Alien Registration Card)
  5. Student registration certificate, Transcript (In case of a research student; Certificate of the research activities)
  6. Document certifying that you have the means to pay for all the expenses incurred during your stay in Japan, such as Bank statement, Certificate of Scholarship etc.
  7. Fee: 4,000 yen
  8. The Immigration Bureau might require other additional documents for the application.